Located in the Burgundy region, the thousand-year-old Bonneau du Martray vineyard has existed since Carolingian times. Emperor Charlemagne used this terroir to produce an exceptional wine. Marie-Eugénie Verry, whose father Simon Verry owned the estate, married Charles Bonneau du Martray in 1835. Her dowry was 24 hectares of vineyards. The estate was handed down from father to son until the arrival of Jean Le Bault de la Morinière in 1969. It was Jean who developed the reputation of these wines in France and abroad. Jean Charles, Jean's son, joined his father in converting the estate to organic farming in 1997. He launched his first biodynamic trials in 2004.
Geographical location of Domaine Bonneau du Martray
Domaine Bonneau du Martray is located in Burgundy on the Corton hillside, a few kilometers from Beaune. Having noticed that the climate on the Corton hill was milder, Emperor Charlemagne decided to plant his vines there. At an altitude of almost 300 meters, the estate benefits from three types of microclimate. It also benefits from a rich variety of soils. Its 11 hectares of legendary Côte de Beaune vineyards produce rare wines, both red and white. These include the Corton-Charlemagne and Corton appellations.
Domaine Bonneau du Martray wines
Domaine Bonneau du Martray produces two Grand Cru appellations: Corton-Charlemagne and Corton. The white Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru and the red Corton Grand Cru offer exceptional vintages. They are already aged in the estate's cellars and ready to enjoy. The old Pinot Noir vines are grown in clay soil at the foot of the Corton hill. This exceptional terroir gives the Corton Grand Cru beautiful aromatic notes of red fruit. Thanks to Chardonnay, the pure, mineral Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru produces an elegant, racy white wine.